In my occasional series on clothing of 1939, I am showing some items that surprise me at their modernity. See Can you name the vintages? for the work of some designers that seems astonishingly new to this day. In previous blogs I showed some ca. 1939 work by Steven Arpad and by Claire McCardell. One of the most interesting designers just prior to WWII is undoubtedly Elsa Schiaparelli. Here are a few of the Metropolitan Museum's Schiaparellis, dated 1939.
Popular Posts
-
From the Spokesman-Review newspaper, September 28, 2004: Of Helen South Alexander's many gifts to Spokane, the swans of Manito Park are ...
-
Vintage shoes have sole I am a great devotee of vintage shoes, but I know there are caveats. I have rarely had a pair of vintage shoes from ...
-
Have you carved your pumpkin yet? Better yet, have you worn pumpkin? Get inspired with my new Flickr set. Personally, I love wearing orang...
-
I get a little emotional around Audrey Hepburn. Not only was she one of the most unusually beautiful women on screen, but her true nature wa...
-
Great first vintage items, a little about condition I have been wearing vintage clothing a long time now, but I realize many people are new ...
-
I have had a lovely and touching response to my recent blog about my mother, both on Blogger and on Facebook. One thing I didn't mention...
-
Inspiration from dance wear: leggings, arm warmers, wide/loose sweathers, cropped tops, hotpants, leotards (/body), layers, all the colors a...
-
(For the start of this on again-off again series on the Théâtre de la Mode, please see my blog of March 14, My visit to the Théâtre de la Mo...
-
The information we most want to know about a fabric is the fiber content; knowing this is to know a fabric's characteristics and advanta...
-
Not guaranteeing that these are all from the 80s, but it looks so anyway :) Source: all photos are from Brookenook.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









No comments:
Post a Comment