Popular Posts

Future vintage 3: Ghanaian Batik, Breton Nautical

When I was about 13, there was a book of catalogs from around the world called The Catalog of Catalogs. I was enchanted by this book beyond reason, and saved enough money to order a handful of the clothing catalogs. I didn't have the money to purchase the items themselves but I was inspired by the clothes from around the globe.

Finding clothing made where it should be made is one way to find Future Vintage. Just to note two examples, there are these colorful batik pieces by Global Mamas (Ghana), sold through tradeforchange.com.



Another page I've bookmarked is brittanyboutique.com, purveyor of Breton-made peacoats, sailor shirts, berets and other items.




Probably my favorite catalog in The Catalog of Catalogs was from Clothkits, and I was delighted to see this company is still in existence decades after I received my catalog. The concept behind this UK company is that you receive beautifully printed cotton and everything else you need to sew a particular item. The distinct prints make the items covetable, and your participation may be the best part of all.




Again, please let me know if you have any suggestions for this series on Future Vintage (1. well designed, 2. well made, 3. created by reasonably-paid people working in safe, humane conditions). See my previous Future Vintage posts featuring Marimekko and Swedish Hasbeens.

No comments:

Post a Comment