Here is one such woman. Jacquelyn lives in the San Francisco area where she has been more or less all her life, still with her one and only true love. Her most glamorous clothing dates from the 40s, when she was young and had to dress well, as the hostess of an officer's club. However, she never stopped being a show-stopper, as her clothing attests.
Here is Jacquelyn with her mother Ailene, out shopping in the early 40s, as shot by a San Francisco paper:
The woman's panache was and is incredible, and I believe it is in her temperament. Here are some (just some!) of her magnificent clothes. I felt very lucky to squeeze into just a few of her garments. She's about 5' 2" and has always been très petite. The only thing size XL is her smile!
Popular Posts
-
I get a little emotional around Audrey Hepburn. Not only was she one of the most unusually beautiful women on screen, but her true nature wa...
-
In my occasional series on clothing of 1939, I am showing some items that surprise me at their modernity. See Can you name the vintages? fo...
-
Understanding vintage sizes, ease to allow for a good fit A further word about vintage sizes. Sometimes you see an item with a size and beli...
-
Not long ago I received the great honor of being Lulu's Pick for Best Vintage Model . It's hard for me to think of myself as a model...
-
I produce a little flash promo every month, and didn't want these to disappear forever. If you would like to see some of the previous mo...
-
I’m enamored with fashion from 1939, as you can tell if you have read my blog for a few months. Here are few more items dated 1939 from The ...
-
...are at :26! I can't wait to go see all the shoes at MOV. (Reference post: My shoes are museum pieces! )
-
Never lose an opportunity of seeing anything beautiful, for beauty is God's handwriting. -Ralph Waldo Emerson The soul that sees beauty ...
-
New doesn’t have a thing on old! Visit my October theme: Let’s grow old today to see what I mean.
-
Sharing more of the great stuff from the 1980s. Amanda Carrington, Dominique, Alexis Colby and Fallon in Dynasty.
I love my vintage clothing sources
My favorite answer to that perennial vintage clothing question about where I find the clothes I have to offer is: Real women. I love to know the people I buy from, any stories they might have about their clothing and about their lives. They often get huge smiles hearing that their clothing is going to be appreciated again, and are eager to talk.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment