Popular Posts

Théâtre de la Mode, part VII: Seeing the exhibit at Maryhill

(For the start of this on again-off again series on the Théâtre de la Mode, please see my blog of March 14, My visit to the Théâtre de la Mode, part 1.)

As I wrote in my first post about the Théâtre, it is permanently housed at the Maryhill Museum of Art and there are no plans for it to tour again from what I can tell. The current Théâtre de la Mode rotation features the three sets I have described in previous posts, including that very haunting Cocteau.

The museum is open 7 days a week, including all holidays, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., March 15 through November 15. It is 100 miles from Portland and not terribly far from any place in the states of Washington and Oregon. The Maryhill Museum website should give you all the information you need to plan a visit. It is an enchanting destination, for more than even the Théâtre; I love the peacocks that strut the grounds!

My red jacket alongside a red jacket by Worth (photo, denisebrain)


Postlude:

Here I was in the presence of this miniature masterpiece of Parisian art and fashion in a museum on the edge of a precipice overlooking the Columbia River, 5,294 miles from Paris.

I carried a very small package with me in my bag when I visited Maryhill. In it was a pair of vintage black gloves marked "Made in France," boxed up to mail to the buyer, who happens to live in Paris. It suddenly seemed like a somewhat smaller world.

No comments:

Post a Comment