Popular Posts

Billie Holiday, style icon

Style icon? Wait, what about music icon?

Obviously Lady Day is an immortal musician, one of the most distinctive artistic voices of the 20th century. But this week I have turned to her for the inspiration she gives me with her style.

This week, the Vintage Fashion Guild featured members showing off their best clothing and accessories worthy of Billie Holiday. As I wrote for this "Get the Look" feature,
The most enduring image of Billie Holiday dates from around 1940: At the microphone, in a beautiful gown, gardenias in her hair, head thrown back. Explore her style with 40s rayon prints, dramatic, stage-worthy evening clothing, striking and exotic jewelry...and of course, flowers.

Here are some of the gorgeous items the VFG members show:


I am trying to channel a more casual Billie with some 50s sundresses...and I couldn't resist trying out flowers in my hair.

All among my eBay offerings this week





If you want to try your hand at emulating the makeup of the 1940s Billie, I recommend the wonderful Face Forward by Kevyn Aucoin, who was a genius at translating the looks of iconic beauties for modern day women.

Victoire Charles, makeup by Kevyn Aucoin

I can't leave the subject of Billie Holiday without presenting one of my favorite of her performances available online, with an incredible line up of some of the greatest jazz musicians of all time (Fine and Mellow, 1957). She was obviously a beautiful person both inside and out, with a musical presence that transcends time, and style to match.

No comments:

Post a Comment